Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday

Anxiety has kicked in full force.  I thought last month's anxiety was bad, but this is horrible.  I'm not really sleeping and when I do, I'm having horrible vivid dreams.  I know what I'm feeling is completely normal (so the other heart moms say) but its so sad to think about.  I know she'll be in good hands, just handing her over for the third time and not knowing the outcome terrifies me.  First time was her birth, second was her intestinal surgery and now open heart. 

We're just getting everything ready for surgery.  Got our blood donations from my father in law and Mike's Aunt.  My immediate family, including myself, are O+.  Zoe is A+.  For this heart surgery, they only want blood donations that are an exact match to her, either A- or A+.  Mike is an exact match, however he has tatoos.  And anyone with tatoos they don't want to donate.  I'm just glad we got family to do this!  Getting all our paper work ready with our pediatrician for the Synagis shots (for RSV).  I feel like there's so much to do.

Mike has been teaching Zander more about hospitals.  We have a book with a little kid in a wheelchair thats at a hospital with a doctor and nurse.  Zander knows what a "boo boo" is, but we're teaching him more about hospitals, doctors, etc. as these people have become a second family since we see them so frequently.  I only hope he doesn't go in freak mode when Zoe isn't home for 5-7 days.  We feel as in this last week, he no longer wants to hit her or be mean to her, but just wants to kiss her, hold her hand, share his toys (probably because he's been in time out so much :) ).  Zoe's eyes light up when Zander is in the room.  I just wish we could bring Zander to see her in the hospital, but they don't want us to due to him possibly carrying germs. 

Trying to scower my house this weekend and next before we're out of the house for the week.  We're very fortunate that we live in a wonderful community, which our neighbors are doing a "Meal Train" for us.  We won't have to worry about dinners for a week.  So thankful for everyone!  They are also hosting a little event next weekend for Zoe.  All the kids are going to finger paint a big heart for her and sign it.  We're getting her anointed next Sunday, the 23rd (also my birthday).  Family and close friends will be in attendance.  I will be using the Lourdes Water that my client gave me on that morning mass.

My dad and Maureen will be flying in, and so will my sister for Zoe's surgery.  We're so lucky to have all the family come and support us, and for Zoe.

We were told that we will not be able to pick her up by her arms for 6 weeks after surgery.  Its so hard to picture how we'll bathe her and hold her as she's getting to the point that she just wants to move around.  She's crawling so fast, pulling herself up, I know she won't want to be cradled like a baby.  I'm sure everything will come second nature to us in time.

We received a wonderful package of candy from one of my sorority sisters (Thanks to the Kranz family), with a sweet message "hoping to sweeten your day".  We have pj's being sent from Sweet Dreams for Kids, a non-profit organization who sends brand new pj's to kids in the hospital or going to the hospital.  We also have a number of other organizations doing stuff for Zoe.  We are so blessed with people supporting us. 

The November 3rd benefit is fast approaching.  We have so many wonderful items for the silent auction.  If you can't attend, you can still buy tickets for Zoe's donation, or donate to the bank directly (info to the right of the page) or donate via paypal (also to the right of the page). 

This next week and the day of surgery we will need all the prayers! xo


1 comment:

  1. My boys couldn't come see Iz when she was in the hospital because they caught a cold--they were really missing her. The Child Life Specialist put together a craft kit for them to do at home to cheer up Iz and give her something to look at in hospital. It took their minds off things and made them feel a part of her recovery so it helped. I'm not sure how much B understood since he is only three (well, late two at the time :p) but he did know he was making something for his baby sister :p Another big thing was getting to talk to me on the phone so they could ask how she was--I think no matter how much Dad said she was fine, it just wasnt as good for them as Mom saying it since I was the one there with her :)

    Not being able to pick up her under the arms was not as bad or hard as I feared! We practiced the scoop for the weeks leading up to surgery so by the time surgery came, it was already second nature. Iz was pretty vocal about her pain so we could adjust how we scooped her based on how she felt at the moment. She felt so great that once she got home, she was on the go all the time--it was like bringing home a different baby because she had so much energy :)

    ReplyDelete