Monday, January 2, 2012

Stuck in the hospital

I'm sitting here in the hospital room bored out of my mind.  I've been admitted since Friday night at 9:30 p.m.

Friday evening after I put Zander to bed, I sat on the couch and I was so uncomfortable.  My contractions were less than 5 minutes apart.  I didn't want to call my doctor right away as I'm not a first time mom and I wanted to make sure this was legit.  An hour later I called the doctor and since Zoe has a bowl obstruction and heart anomalies and I'm measuring so big, they wanted me in immediately.  I was rushed into labor and delivery and hooked up to the machines immediately.  They decided to give me the steroids to help her lungs since they feel that delivery is in my near future.  So that was a guarantee 48 hour stay.  On top of the steroids they gave me amphetamines to help stop the contractions.  The bright side was that I was only dilated to a finger-tip-2 cm.   Each day my contractions have gotten worse, and for longer periods of time.  Sunday night I actually texted Mike thinking it was "go" time but they gave me some pain meds and they seemed to help me through the contractions.  I've been given some sleep aids to help me sleep through the pain, although I do still feel some of the contractions.  The amphetamines are given every 6 hours, however around the 5th hour is when my body starts contracting, almost as the meds wear off.

So my doctor is keeping me until tomorrow to keep a close eye on me.  I was in latent labor (early/walking labor) with Zander for 2.5 weeks before I delivered with him, so I may be in the same boat with Zander.  Walking around with contractions less than 5 minutes apart.  I'm so scared going home and just having to turn around to come back.  Mike goes back to work on Wednesday and that's my worst fear.  I have Zander at home with me, while he's at work and I have to call 911.   My inlaws and my mom will be helping out with the care of Zander while I'm on bedrest (which i'm dreading).

All in all I've been in a lot of pain, but the bright side is no dilation changes.  My OB came in this morning and said that if we do an amino reduction (which won't be until tomorrow), they will take out at least 100 ccs of fluid.  My amniocentesis back on Dec. 1st only took out 30 cc, which was painful enough.  I've been poked, prodded, stuck with needles, etc. so much, I'm not looking forward to this.  I obviously will do anything to help Zoe stay in a little longer.  I will admit, I'm over being pregnant.  This has been so hard on me emotionally and physically.  I've threw up all day on Saturday due to the meds, cried when I saw her heart rate plummet and not feel her kick for a few hours, and then on and off for hours with terrible contractions.  She's truly a fighter, she's fighting to stay nice and warm, however I'm not sure how much more my body can take.

Thank you all for the wonderful support.  So its just a waiting game...either I dilate or my water will break.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Brit, I believe they are giving you Nifedipine to stop the contractions. You probably don't want people to think you're being given Amphetamines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your right....they all sound alike:) thanks scott!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, more tears here for you. I can sympathize with all the poking and prodding. So not fun. Your strength is inspiring and your love for your babies is evident. I wish there was something I could do to help. At least it sounds like there is an end in sight. I would love to come do some photos for you when she arrives as a gift.
    Much love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your a strong mommy!!! Prayers that the pain eases and you can get some rest soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, your offer is so sweet, we love your pictures:)

    ReplyDelete