I.miss.my.kids. Period. Its been extremely hard working full time then going home and maybe getting 3 hours in with them. Its rush rush rush. As soon as I walk in the door I'm greeted by Zander and then Zoe hears my voice and is all smiles. We try and sit down as a family for dinner (Zander is now at the table, he no longer wants the high chair). We plop Zoe in the boppy lounger and put her on the kitchen table. All four of us at the table. This is all I ever wanted. We did this as a family growing up, as did Mike's. I really want our little family to continue this so we can catch up on the days activities. After dinner, I feed Zoe and spend some quality time with her. Then we move onto bath time. Once bath time is over, its reading time and then bed time.
On the days Mike is at work, evenings are tough because essentially there's no help for the night time routine. Zander is now in the toddler bed at night. He has mastered it. Yay! However, we still have to sit in his room until he falls asleep, no longer than 20-25 minutes. When its just me at night, I bring Zoe in with me (she's usually passed out anyways), wait until Zander is asleep then put her in the bassinet. Then its bottle making, folding laundry and my bed time! Now we just need to get Zander sleeping in the toddler bed for naps. We've tried a few times and he tends to think its play time. I know it'll come sooner or later. Right now, bed time is a success, so we're happy.
Now we're at a point that we really have to watch Zander with Zoe. He loves her so much, calls her "mine" (we're at a phase where he thinks everything is his). This past weekend he tried picking her up out of the swing. He tried to bottle feed her at times but is a little forceful. I'm just glad he and "baby" get along so great. Zoe just lights up when he's around her. She giggles at him. It melts my heart.
Its funny, because when you're pregnant, people will ask you "Are you done?" "Going for #3". I'm sure all you moms got those infamous questions. Yes, Mike and I are done with our family. With Zoe having Heterotaxy, since we don't know if its genetic or just sporadic, there's a chance we can have another child with this, or just a child with heart defects. My pregnancy was extremely hard on me emotionally and physically. I'm not made to be pregnant. Both times I was extremely sick, and with Zoe, it was an emotional roller coaster. Nor would I ever want to bring another child in the world with heart defects. Its just not fair.
I thought I would share our cardiologists report verbatim to our pediatrician:
"Zoe has heterotaxy syndrome with polysplenia, a moderate VSD (4 mm) restricted by tricuspid valve tissue, small ASD, interrupted IVC and bilateral SVC with the left SVC to the coronary sinus with no bridging vein. She is currently well appearing and gaining weight well. The VSD does not currently represent a hemodynamically significant shunting lesion. Given the restriction to flow across the VSD by tricuspid value tissue, she may never develop a hemodynamically significant shunt, however, we will need to continue to monitor her respiratory rate and growth curve."
In a nutshell, she's doing great. Although they state she may never need surgery, its not probable due to the size of her hole. But with the power of prayer thus far, who knows, maybe little Zoe will be just perfect the way she is and will no longer need surgery. Here's hoping.
She's beginning to outgrow her 0-3 month clothes, sniff sniff. She's extremely long (and skinny). My baby is no longer a newborn. Time please slow down.
We received another Children's Memorial Donation from Thistle Street Soap Co. The owner, Jennifer Lang (a sorority sister of mine) wrote me about two weeks ago asking if I knew a woman who purchased a significant amount of the Celtic soap in Zoe's name for her friend's baby shower. I had no idea who this woman was. I guess she loved Zoe's story so much and felt it was fitting for the baby shower for another Zoe. Truly touched my heart.
Last week one of my client's gave me something extremely rare and special for Zoe's room, a relic of St. Teresa of Calcutta. We have placed it in her bassinet. So if my client is reading this, again, thank you from the bottom of our hearts!
We recently had family pictures taken a few weeks ago by Katie McCoy of K.A.M.era Photography. I had a hard time last Monday being at work and she sent me some sneak peeks of the photo shoot. Here they are. I can't wait for the rest of them!
(look how beautiful her duodenal atresia scar is)
And I'm sure some of you are wondering how Mike is handling "Daddy Day Care x2". He's doing great, a little worn out (who wouldn't be) but is having fun with the kids. Am I jealous of his schedule, yes! But I'm glad that one of us is able to help raise our kids. We're really fortunate with the CFD schedule. Not to mention, my inlaws, are pretty fantastic, since they handle the rest of day care while we both work.
Daddy Day Care...
The next set of pictures we're taken almost two weeks ago at Adriana's 1st birthday party (Zander is 9 months older). Have I mentioned that he's a major flirt? I swear he kisses all the cute little ladies!
And Grandpa was in town for a quick visit.
My Two Babies....
And I'll leave you with this amazing picture. She is ALWAYS smiling. For a little girl who has gone through so much, she's just a very happy girl. We are truly blessed.










I went to high school with Kelly VanDerPloeg and am a devoted reader of her photo blog. I was touched by your story when I clicked through to your blog from her photo spread about little Zoe. I am 32 weeks pregnant with my third child, a little girl we have planned to name Zoe. I have two boys ages 5 and 3 and Zoe was always our little girl name (we just kept on making little boys...lol). After reading your story and blog posts, I came across the post about your sorority sister and the soap she had created in your daughter's honor. I asked my best friend if she would purchase the soap for my baby "sprinkle". I wanted to give something special to our guests and this worked on so many levels. I just loved the meaning and thought behind this soap, that the proceeds go to a wonderful charity and that it bears the name Zoe and honors your strong little girl. Thank you for sharing your story and I continue to pray for your family and for Zoe's health and future.
ReplyDeleteKristen, from the bottom of my heart, thank you so very much for the thoughtfulness and generosity. I also went to GHS, but am a few years younger than you and Kelly. I hope the last few weeks of your pregnancy fly by and you have an easy and fast labor. My Zoe thanks you. Thank you again:)
ReplyDeleteEveryone was really touched by the soap and we shared Zoe's story with all of the girls at my shower...now a piece Zoe's heart as been spread among others and her story shared...she has truly touched many! I continue to pray for her everyday and think of her journey often. Wishing you a wonderful summer and continued strength. Thanks again for sharing Zoe with us all! Only two weeks to go over here and I cannot wait!
ReplyDeleteI wish you a safe and quick delivery. Thank you for your continued prayers! I also started a facebook page "Zoe's Journey". I will update that more then the blog, but will continue to do the blog:)
ReplyDelete